Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Proverbs


Proverbs 7
1My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
2Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
3Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.


The book of Psalms is about "worship" Clearly David expresses his personal relationship with God over and over and how he needs desperately God in his life. It is referred to as poetry and is beautiful to read. I am not as drawn to that as others, for some reason I keep coming back to the book of Proverbs.


Proverbs is a book about "wisdom" and purpose. I have heard it referred to as 'dark' but it doesn't feel dark to me. It spells out exactly what purpose is in our lives or should be. It is direct and poignant, it's plain or maybe blunt.


Blunt is more to my personality and perhaps that's why I am so drawn to it. The rules and expectations are clearly laid out in this book. Samuel is believed to have written most of Proverbs with several other authors contributing.


Wisdom is unlike any other kind of knowledge, it is learned only by seeing the end result of things, not by planning or researching or education but by "looking back" with open eyes and heart, with open mind.


I see this wisdom in Solomon throughout this book and feel like I gain something from his experiences through his eyes, like he is talking and sharing directly with every human being 'his' wisdom.


The do's-and-don'ts are here, he is very clear about the consequences of man's actions. I wonder why Pastors very rarely go there.


Yeah, I love Proverbs. I think it's all about being human, which we certainly are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

to leave comment