Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

"Learn How to Learn"

When I was about 5 my dad let me shoot his handgun for the first time. I was really interested and couldn't wait. He use to shoot in the yard toward the trees and targets he put there.

I remember well him handing me the gun and saying "Now stand like this...and hold the gun like this...and you just pull the trigger when I say and don't worry it's not loaded so you are safe. There is no round in it. Trust me, it's not loaded" I looked at him, trusted him and just pulled the trigger - poooow! He was standing inches from me to grab the gun but allowed me to hit the ground.

Pow as I sailed back about 5 feet, not standing securely and trusting him that there would be no pow - "It's not loaded, trust me".

I was on the ground and can't remember what I was actually thinking I can only remember his words "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN UNLOADED GUN" it doesn't matter who told you or how much you trust them or what you remember yourself thinking the gun is safe THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN UNLOADED GUN. I knew without doubt if that could happen with my dad telling me it wasn't loaded, it could surely happen again and I would never forget to treat every gun like it was loaded.

He put me on my butt and let me know in a way that was loud and clear! I will never forget that there is no such thing as an unloaded gun and always apply the utmost in respect with one.

Sometimes God has to put us on our butt too, He prefers our knees but we aren't always cooperative and He will do whatever He has to by way of making it loud and clear just like dad did.

God loves us enough to go as far as He has to in making us listen to Him and remember. I pray I "learn how to learn" without having to hit the dirt again!


1 comment:

  1. What a terrific illustration, Miawa. Yes, it seems I am a terribly slow learner myself.

    Sometimes I think I must be God's dumbest sheep of His entire flock!

    I'm praying for all of you. I pray you all have a joyful Easter celebrating together.

    I love you all.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete

to leave comment